Thursday, February 14, 2013

Fishlegs Portrait

Fishlegs Portrait

So this painting I did today.  I wanted to write some Chinese words. Something I learned about doing that today... the word 'fish, fish, fish,' repeated over-and-over with different sized brushes, taught me something about Chinese words: that is, there are so many ways to do the same thing. It may consist of many small pieces, the bottom part that looks like a box divided into four can be done as a circle with a cross, or it can be a box. The line that starts at the top and has the right angle can jump onto the box, or even plunge all the way to the bottom line, negating the need for the brush to leave. 

It makes me wonder about other Chinese characters, and their pliability with doing it in a hundred different ways to get different effects and such. It's quite an interesting first experiment I plan on playing with more.

No comments:

Post a Comment