Monday, December 17, 2012

Pixel Nymph

This new painting will be the largest I've ever done. It measures 3x4'. I was going to use some other things that I have been developing for awhile. But this unique structure, the girl that is, has interesting angles and shapes in front of the somewhat pixellized background where nature, the grass and other greens, are at her feet, the day at her waste, then pink sexuality, and then the city and twilight around her hair. In any case... this is the finished product.

Pixel Nymph
It is an interesting expression that I will work on some more. But, I thought I'd share it at this point.

Updates: I have the sketch from which this painting started, as well as an update to the painting as well.
Pixel Nymph January Update
 There are still a few things I need to do before this is 'finished.' I read awhile ago that a famous painter, Picasso if I'm not mistaken, said that a painting is never finished. I would have to say that I agree with this. But, there is a point one reaches where one says to himself (or herself, itself, etc) that it's gone as far as he's/she's/it's going to take it.

The instructor/supervisor in the MAB Ventures class mentioned something about light and identifying the source. I thought about that a bit more because of her comment. She said I had identified it, but when she said it, I thought she was over simplifying it. That is to say, she referred to a single light source. However, surfaces also reflect light. That is to say, if you have a white flat surface which is redirecting light to another side of the object, it will be different than if you have a black flat surface or no surface at all. That is to say, there are many light sources to consider.

I bring this up because the idea I had for this picture is that the object to the left of the model is supposed to be the main light source. It is a Sunflower: the sun in some semblance off a flower. Then there is the reflective surface to the right of the model which is not seen which I am thinking about when trying to figure out my tones.

Finally, the sketch where this painting came from:


Add caption


No comments:

Post a Comment